Good apsects in a bull fight
- The bull is stationary and properly lined up, its forelegs parallel with each other, before the matador intitates the kill.
- The matador profiles for the kill standing opposite both the bulls horns.
- The matador goes over the bull´s head to place the sword.
- The sword pierces the bull´s hide in la cruz and goes in up to the hilt.
- By sweeping the muleta rightwards in his left hand, the matador diverts the bull from catching.
- The manoeuvre is not rushed.
- The bull dies as a result of the estocada.
- If a descabello is needed to finish things, it is successful the first time (it it is delivered by the matador on his own, without the help of his peon, that adds value to the move).
Poor aspects in a bull fight
- The matador takes ages to line the bull up, or fail to get it properly positioned before citing.
- The matador profiles for the kill opposite, or to the outside of, the bull’s right horn.
- The matador moves to the side of the bull´s right horn to place the sword, rather than leaning over it.
- The sword pierces the bull outside la cruz. Estocadas to the left of la cruz indicate that the matador did not go over the bull’s head.
- The sword hits bone, or is placed in the bull and then quickly withdrawn.
- The manoeuvre is hurried.
- The muleta is not kept in the left hand: rather , it is thrown across The bull’s face.
- More than one swordthrust is needed to kill the bull, whether of the estoque or descabello.
- The matador fails to kill the bull before the third aviso sounds.